Formula Ford Featured at 2015 Canadian Historic Grand Prix
Canadian Historic Grand Prix
Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
June 19-21, 2015
The Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada (VARAC) is gearing up for what promises to be the biggest, most exciting and best-attended event in its history. The Canadian Historic Grand Prix is one of the most prestigious events on the Vintage and Historic Racing Calendar in North America and it is the largest and most popular event of its kind in Canada and counted as a “Major Spectator Event” at Mosport since 1999.
Racers from across Canada and the United States will descend on Canadian Tire Motorsport Park just north of Bowmanville, Ontario with their Formula Fords, MGs, Triumphs, Jaguars, Porsches, Alfa Romeos, Lotus, Minis, Corvettes and more to challenge the world famous Mosport Grand Prix Circuit. Mosport is one of only three true historic Grand Prix tracks in North America along with Le Circuit Mont Tremblant in Quebec and Watkins Glen in upstate New York. Mosport is an awesome, technically demanding, fast 2.459 mile track with challenging corners and impressive elevation changes. It is the current and former host to world-class racing such as ALMS, the NASCAR Truck Series and the Formula One Grand Prix of Canada, Can-Am, Trans-Am and Formula 5000. Moreover, it is a place for cars, drivers and race fans to come home to.
Open-Wheel Formula Ford Racers will be the “Featured Marque” for 2015 and will compete for the Oliver Clubine Trophy in honour of Ollie Clubine, a champion and pioneer of Canadian Road Racing.
VARAC will step back in time to recreate the epic battles for open wheel supremacy that witnessed the likes of Gilles Villeneuve, Craig Hill, Brian Stewart as well as other world-class drivers like our 2015 Grand Marshal, former Canadian Champion Gary Magwood as they fought their way to even greater heights. One of Canada’s greatest Formula Ford Aces, Gary Magwood will act as Grand Marshall for the weekend. Mosport’s tarmac then as now was the very proving ground that saw Gilles Villeneuve rise from Formula Ford to Formula Atlantic Champion and on to Formula One and more recently, James Hinchcliffe to IndyCars..
VARAC is staging what promises to be the largest ever such contest in its history. In addition to the Formula Ford Feature, racing fans will once again be thrilled to witness a huge grid of swarming, fast Triumphs and MGs piloted by cunning and experienced drivers from across Canada and the US, returning to vie for the claim of victory in the Triumph vs MG Challenge.
In addition, there will be three full days of exciting racing for six groups of cars including Monoposto (single seat open-wheel vintage & historic race cars including Formula Ford Pre ’82), Small Bore Vintage & Historic Cars (under 2000cc), Big Bore Vintage & Historic Cars (over 2000cc), Wings & Slicks (very fast purpose-built racing cars running on slick tires including Formula Ford Pre ’93), G70+ and G90 Cars (cars dating from 1973 to 1994 including all kinds of Alfas, Corvettes, Porsches, Mustangs and a host of others.
The Canadian Historic Grand Prix is about more than on-track racing! Spectators and car enthusiasts of all stripes will enjoy the scope and scale of experiences open to their participation on the weekend such as:
- The “Historic Grand Prix Tribute” hosting the “Checkered Flag Cruise” again this year in Downtown Bowmanville from noon to nine on Friday, just like the world-famous street party at Watkins Glen. You don’t want to miss this!
- Track Touring Sessions – On-track sessions are offered twice daily.
- Road Rally/Tour – a 100 mile rally/tour throughout the hills and dales and quaint villages of the local area, including a lunch stop on Saturday.
- “Legends of Mosport Racer’s Reunion” – Toronto Star Wheels Editor, Norris McDonald will host this “meet the fans & Press” session Sunday morning with other champions and greats like Bill Brack, Eppie Wietzes, Ludwig Heimrath, Craig Fisher, Walt Mackay and more. Open to all at no cost. Mix with old friends, racers and champions.
- A Concours d’Elegance conducted by the Mercedes Benz Club of America – Toronto Section on Sunday
- “Mini Meet North” all weekend – Canada’s largest Mini gathering,
- “Field of Dreams Car Show” – welcoming hundreds of sports cars, classics and hot-rods, owners and car clubs from far and wide featuring Canada’s largest on-track parade open to car show participants and featuring discounted park admission for entrants.
- Free weekend camping courtesy Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
- For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- VARAC members compete in Vintage and Historic Racing events across North America and abroad. VARAC is made up racing enthusiasts from all walks of life. Several Canadian Champions are included amongst the membership.
About VARAC: Founded in 1976, the Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada has over 220 members with approximately 100 members who are active racing drivers. VARAC is sanctioned by Canadian Automobile Sports Clubs – Ontario Region under ASN Canada and the FIA. VARAC is a founding member of the Vintage Motorsport Council, an umbrella organization representing all Vintage Motorsport Clubs in North America.