Canadian Historic Grand Prix: A Fathers Day Weekend June 14 to 16, 2013
June 11, 2013 Toronto
The Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada will hold its annual event at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park on FATHERS DAY WEEKEND from June 14 to 16, 2013 on the Mosport Grand Prix Circuit – Canada’s Home of Motorsport.
Participating racers from across Canada and the US will converge on the Toronto area track to compete in three days of racing in six race groups:
· Group 1 – Monoposto – Vintage and Historic open-wheel race cars
· Group 2 – Vintage Sports Cars – Pre ‘62
· Group 3 – Historic Sports Cars – ’62 to ‘72
· Group 4 – Classic Sedans – to ‘72
· Group 5 – Wings & Slicks – Open Wheel Formula Cars & Sports Racers running on slicks
· Group 7 – G70+ – ‘73 to ‘89 Closed Wheel Cars
· Porsche 944 Cups Tribute Race – Honoring the cars and drivers of the fabulous Rothman’s Series of the 1980’s & 1990’s
Join us this coming weekend June 14-16, 2013 for a dream Fathers Day weekend. There will be fabulous racing action with over 200 vintage and historic cars in six race groups battling for the honour of a sharing the podium and receiving trophies from Canadian Racing Greats, Eppie Wietzes, Ludwig Heimrath, Bill Brack, Craig Fisher, Gary Magwood and Walt MacKay.
Friday June 14th – Bring your classic car out on Friday evening to the “Checkered Flag Cruise” to be held right in the middle of all the action of the racer’s paddock – walk where championships have been decided and the world’s greatest drivers have taken the Checkered Flag. The Cruise will start at 5:30pm and the entry is free. The Cruise will combine Hot-Rods and Muscle Cars with Sports Cars and Race Cars. In addition to witnessing this fantastic Cruise Event, attendees will have the opportunity to explore the paddocks and see what a great spectacle the VARAC – Canadian Historic Grand Prix presents. Souvenir Dash Plaques will be provided to all cars entering the Cruise.
Saturday June 15th features lots of great racing plus:
· “Esso Tower Rally/Tour” starting at 10:30 – tour with a lunch stop
· Mini Meet North the largest gathering of Minis in Canada
· Legends of the Autobahn Car Corrals and Concours Events for the great German Marques – BMW, Mercedes, Porsche
Sunday, June 16th – more on-track action and afternoon feature races plus:
· From 10:30am, join the fun at the Marquee Tent for The Toronto Star “Great Canadian Racers’ Reunion” and “Legends of Mosport” hosted by Wheels Editor, Norris MacDonald
· Join in the “Meet the Fans and Press” Session and Panel Discussion. Welcoming fans and anyone involved in racing over the years to come out and meet old friends and celebrate racing at Mosport, Canada’s Home of Motorsport.
· Gary Magwood, Canadian Racing Champion will MC “The Legends of Mosport”, featuring our greatest drivers. So, come out and hear what these Champions who formed Canadian racing have to say, get an autograph and meet them personally.
· The “Field of Dreams Car Show” presented by Liquid Wrench also takes place on Sunday Morning from 9am on the infield at Corner 8. A special admission rate of $20 per car applies to those coming in for the day and entering the Car Show. Souvenir Window Cards and Dash Plaques will be provided to all cars entering the Car Show.
· Dream Laps Parade – The noon-hour parade laps are an annual favourite. We will continue that tradition this year by offering Car Show attendees the opportunity to register ($10 fee) on-site for the “Dream Laps” This is an experience that you won’t want to miss and the largest on-track classic car parade in Canada
· Co-Grand Marshalls, legendary Canadian Racer, Ludwig Heimrath and 944 Cup Series Founder and competitor, David Deacon will officiate the running of the Porsche 944 Feature Race and present the trophies on Sunday afternoon.
With all of this racing action and the variety of ways to participate, you won’t want to miss THE GREATEST SHOW ON TARMAC! , the VARAC – 2013 Canadian Historic Grand Prix on the Mosport Grand Prix Circuit at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, June 14 to 16, 2013.