TORONTO, ON (June 17, 2015) – The Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada (VARAC) is gearing up this weekend for the Canadian Historic Grand Prix, one of the most prestigious events on the Vintage and Historic Racing Calendar in North America. Racers from across Canada and the United States will descend on Canadian Tire Motorsport Park just north of Bowmanville, Ontario with their Formula Fords, MGs, Triumphs, Jaguars, Porsches, Alfa Romeos, Lotus, Minis, Corvettes and more to challenge the world famous Mosport Grand Prix Circuit. Mosport is one of only three true historic Grand Prix tracks in North America along with Le Circuit Mont Tremblant in Quebec and Watkins Glen in upstate New York.
Del Bruce, president of VARAC says “Open-Wheel Formula Ford Racers will be the “Featured Marque” for 2015 and will compete for the Oliver Clubine Memorial Trophy in honour of Ollie Clubine, a champion and pioneer of Canadian Road Racing. We have invited one of Canada’s greatest Formula Ford Aces, Gary Magwood to be Grand Marshall for the weekend. IT promises to be a great weekend of racing!”
CHGP Director Bob DeShane adds “There will be three full days of exciting racing for six groups of cars including Monoposto (single seat open-wheel vintage & historic race cars), Small Bore Vintage & Historic Cars (under 2000cc), Big Bore Vintage & Historic Cars (over 2000cc), Wings & Slicks (very fast purpose-built racing cars running on slick tires), G70+ and G90 Cars (cars dating from 1973 to 1994 including all kinds of Alfas, Corvettes, Porsches, Mustangs and a host of others.”
The Canadian Historic Grand Prix is about more than on-track racing! Spectators and car enthusiasts of all stripes will enjoy the scope and scale of experiences open to their participation on the weekend such as:
- Track Touring Sessions – On-track sessions are offered twice daily.
- “Legends of Mosport Racer’s Reunion” – Toronto Star Wheels Editor, Norris McDonald will host this “meet the fans & Press” session Sunday morning with other champions and greats like Bill Brack, Eppie Wietzes, Ludwig Heimrath, Craig Fisher, Walt Mackay and more. Open to all at no cost. Mix with old friends, racers and champions.
- A Concours d’Elegance conducted by the Mercedes Benz Club of America – Toronto Section on Sunday
- “Mini Meet North” all weekend – Canada’s largest Mini gathering,
- “Field of Dreams Car Show” – welcoming hundreds of sports cars, classics and hot-rods, owners and car clubs from far and wide featuring Canada’s largest on-track parade open to car show participants and featuring discounted park admission for entrants.
- Free weekend camping courtesy Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
VARAC is the Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada whose members share a desire to preserve, restore and race historically significant cars in a form as close to the original specification as possible. We race cars made in 1994 or earlier in Ontario and Quebec. The highlight of our season is the Canadian Historic Grand Prix held annually in June at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. The 2015 CHGP will feature Formula Ford.
Follow us on Twitter at @VARACBoD, Instagram and YouTube at “VARACVintageRacing”
Photo by Peter Viccary